34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
Also known as Witcher’s Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles. 34th Cavalry Battalion, formerly the 1st Battalion Virginia Mounted Rifles, was organized in December, 1862. The unit served in A.G. Jenkins’, W.E. Jones’, V.A. Witcher’s, and B.T. Johnson’s Brigade and first engaged the Federals in western Virginia. It had a force of 172 men at Gettysburg, returned to western Virginia, then was involved in operations in East Tennessee. During April, 1864, it contained 222 effectives, saw action at Piedmont, and served with Early in the Shenandoah Valley. The 34th disbanded at Lynchburg in April, 1865.
Lieutenant Colonel Vinson A. Witcher, and Majors John A. McFarlane and William Straton were in command.
[Source: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System]
West Virginia counties contributing soldiers: Cabell, Logan, McDowell, Mercer, Raleigh, Wayne, Wyoming