Chapman’s Battery, also known as Monroe-Dixie Artillery Battery. Monroe Light Artillery was organized in April, 1862, with men from Amherst County. The unit was active in the Kanawha Valley, then assigned to the Department of Western Virginia participated in numerous conflicts including the actions at White Sulphur Springs and Lewisburg. Later it was active in Early’s Shenandoah Valley Campaign and disbanded in the spring of 1865. In December, 1862, the company contained 3 officers and 116 men, and in April, 1864, there were 4 officers and 125 men present. Its commander was Captain George B. Chapman.
[Source: National Park Service]
West Virginia counties contributing soldiers: Monroe
G.B. Chapman’s Company, Virginia Light Artillery (Monroe Battery) – National Park Service
Lowry’s, Bryan’s, and Chapmans’s Batteries, of Virginia Artillery, by J. L. Scott ; Virginia Regimental History Series, H.E. Howard Publishing, 1988.
Virginia Monroe Dixie Artillery Battery, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia, by Stewart Sifakis, pp. 54-55, entry #112.
Capt. George Beirne Chapman’s Co. Va. Light Artillery, A Guide to Virginia’s Military Organizations, 1861-1865, by Lee A. Wallace, Jr., pg. 16.