Chew’s Battery, also known as Ashby Horse Artillery, and John W. Carter’s Horse Artillery. Organized at Flowing Spring, Jefferson County, on November 13, 1861. Reorganized on May 19, 1862. Temporarily disbanded on January 16, 1865, with orders to reassemble on April 1, 1865, at Lynchburg. Armed with one 3-inch Rifle, one 12-lb. Howitzer, and one 3.1-inch Blakely Rife from March 23, 1862, to April 9, 1865. Surrendered at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, on April 9, 1865.
First Commander was Captain Robert Preston Chew, followed by Captains James Walton Thomson and John Wright Carter.
[Source: Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia, by Stewart Sifakis]
West Virginia counties contributing soldiers: Jefferson, Berkeley
Ashby’s Horse Artillery – The Civil War in the East
Chew’s Ashby, Shoemaker’s Lynchburg & The Newton Artillery; Virginia Regimental History Series, by Robert H. Moore, II, H.E. Howard Publishing, 1995.
Virginia Ashby Horse Artillery Battery, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia, by Stewart Sifakis, pp. 19-20, entry #37.
Capt. John W. Carter’s Co. Va. Horse Artillery, A Guide to Virginia’s Military Organizations, 1861-1865, by Lee A. Wallace, Jr., pg. 15.
Three Years In The Confederate Horse Artillery: A Gunner In Chew’s Battery, Stuart’s Horse Artillery, Army Of Northern Virginia; by George M. Neese, Createspace, 2012.
A History of the Laurel Brigade: Originally the Ashby Cavalry of the Army of Northern Virginia and Chew’s Battery; by William N. McDonald (Author), Bushrod C. Washington (Editor), Eric J. Mink (Introduction); Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002.