Jackson’s Virginia Horse Artillery
Jackson’s Company, Virginia Horse Artillery (2nd Organization 1863-65)
Jackson’s Battery [also called Charlottesville Horse Battery] was organized in May, 1863, with men from John P. Hale’s Battery (Kanawha Artillery) which was broken up by its capture at Fort Donelson in February, 1862, and recruits and transfers principally from the 8th Regiment Virginia Cavalry. It was assigned to Jenkins’ Cavalry Brigade, Lomax’s Horse Artillery Battalion, and in 1865, M. Johnson’s Battalion. This unit took 54 men to Gettysburg, then served in southwest Virginia and in Early’s Shenandoah Valley operations. In March, 1865, it moved to North Carolina. Captain Thomas E. Jackson was in command.
[Source: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System]
West Virginia counties contributing soldiers: Kanawha, Mason, Wayne