Lowry’s Battery [also called Centerville Rifles] was organized in June, 1861, with men from Prince William County. This unit served in western Virginia and in December, 1862, contained 3 officers and 72 men. Attached to J.F.King’s Battalion, it later was involved in the Knoxville Campaign, then returned to Virginia. The battery participated in Early’s operations in the Shenandoah Valley and disbanded early in 1865. Captain William M. Lowry was in command.
[Source: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System]
West Virginia counties contributing soldiers: Monroe