Lurty’s Battery (also known as Roanoke Artillery Battery) was organized in October, 1863, with transfers from other artillery companies. The unit served in western Virginia, fought at Lewisburg, and in November contained 5 officers and 43 men. Later it was assigned to W.J. Jackson’s Cavalry Brigade, Department of Western Virginia, and in February, 1864, totalled 66 effectives. The battery then participated in Early’s operations in the Shenandoah Valley as part of the Horse Artillery. During the spring of 1865 it disbanded. Captain Warren S. Lurty was its commander.
[Source: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System]
West Virginia counties contributing soldiers: Calhoun, Gilmer, Greenbrier, Harrison, Lewis, Marion, Upshur, Webster
Lurty’s Company, Virginia Horse Artillery – National Park Service
Graham’s Petersburg, Jackson’s Kanawha, and Lurty’s Roanoke Horse Artillery by Robert H. Moore; Virginia Regimental History Series, H.E. Howard Publishing, 1996.
Virginia Roanoke Artillery Battery, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia, by Stewart Sifakis, pg. 84, entry #157.
Capt. Warren S. Lurty’s Co. Va. Horse Artillery, A Guide to Virginia’s Military Organizations, 1861-1865, by Lee A. Wallace, Jr., pg. 26.