Swann’s Battalion Virginia Cavalry
Also known as Carpenter’s Cavalry Battalion. Organized with six companies on December 28, 1864, per S.O. #130, Headquarters, Department of Western Virginia and East Tennessee. Increased to seven companies on January 19, 1865. Disbanded by Brigadier General John Echols, commanding Department of Southwestern Virginia and East Tennessee, at Christiansburg, Virginia, on April 12, 1865. First commander was Thomas B. Swann, lieutenant colonel.
[Source: Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia, by Stewart Sifakis]
West Virginia counties contributing soldiers: Boone, Cabell, Logan, McDowell, Mercer, Putnam, Wayne, Wyoming
Swann’s Battalion Virginia Cavalry – National Park Service
Thurmond’s Partisan Rangers and Swann’s Battalion of Virginia Cavalry, Virginia Regimental History Series, by Jeffrey C. Weaver, H. E. Howard Publishing, 1993.
Swann’s Cavalry Battalion, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia, by Stewart Sifakis, pg. 150-151, entry #265.
Swann’s Cavalry Battalion, A Guide to Virginia’s Military Organizations, 1861-1865, by Lee A. Wallace, Jr., pg. 75.